Demand for aesthetic dental procedures are on the rise, largely due to our growing desire for teeth that look naturally attractive, even when we suffer from problems such as dental decay, discoloration and damage. Fortunately, with so many different cosmetic dental treatments available, making improvements to our teeth is more accessible and affordable than ever before.
Whether you have teeth that are stained, chipped or odd-sizes, porcelain veneers are just one cosmetic dentistry solution that could help you to transform their appearance and create a smile that looks naturally gorgeous. Better still, they are custom-designed specifically for your teeth, available in a range of shades and minimally-invasive to fit.
Porcelain veneers are thin, shell-like coverings that are attached to the outer enamel of your teeth, covering any imperfections and improving their color. Despite their fragile appearance, veneers are actually very durable. However, they aren't indestructible. So, if you invest in a set of high quality porcelain veneers, how long can you expect them to last?
The Lifespan of Porcelain Veneers
If you ask our dentist, you will be told that a set of good porcelain veneers will last an average of 10 to 15 years, provided that they are cared for properly. However, much like your natural teeth, if you fail to give your porcelain veneers due care and attention, you will find that their lifespan is significantly shorter.
What Factors can Affect the Longevity of my Porcelain Veneers?
There are a range of factors that can impact how long your porcelain veneer will last, all of which relate to the care which you provide your natural teeth and any habits that you have that affect your oral health.
- Proper Oral Hygiene Practices One of the best things that you can do to ensure the longevity of your veneers is to follow a robust daily oral hygiene routine. This will keep your underlying teeth as healthy as possible, as well as keeping your veneers clean. Brush and use a fluoride toothpaste and mouthwash twice each day, floss daily and try and limit the amount of sugary foods and drinks you consume.
- Visit our Dentist Regularly Our dentist is your biggest supporter when it comes to your oral health. Attending your regular check-ups will help you to retain strong, healthy teeth which is crucial for the longevity of your veneers.
- Schedule Professional Dental CleansWhile the day-to-day brushing and flossing of your teeth is essential for keeping them healthy, only a dentist or hygienist has the access to your mouth and the tools needed to do a truly thorough clean that eliminates all traces of plaque and gets your veneers squeaky clean. We recommend a professional clean at least once or twice a year.
- Don't Bite your Nails or Other Brittle Objects Porcelain veneers have been known to chip and crack from time to time, and the best way to prevent this is to avoid using our teeth as tools and learning to stop biting our nails.
- If you Grind or Clench your Teeth, use a Mouth GuardThis condition, known as bruxism, is a leading cause of tooth erosion and can seriously damage porcelain veneers. Our dentist should be able to tell you if you grind your teeth while you sleep and will be able to provide you with a custom-fit mouthguard which will help prevent further damage.
- Quit Smoking Smoking is not only bad for our general health, but also for our dental hygiene and the color of our teeth. Porcelain veneers are not impervious to staining, and care must be taken to preserve their color.
If you would like to find out more about porcelain veneers, or if you would like to schedule a consultation, please do not hesitate to get in contact with our team.